College of
Hypnosis and

Call our Director of Student Support, Fiona Biddle between the hours of 8am and 6pm. If Fiona is with a client or in a UKCP meeting, leave a message and she will call you back


 0207 831 8801 :  0345 257 8735

Hypnotherapy Training UK – Psychotherapy Training UK

Questions about Study Answered

Some Common Questions Answered

Q: Is it necessary to pay for all four stages of training in advance?

A: No. Students normally pay for the course stage by stage. Furthermore, each stage can be paid in instalments. When the full fee for each particular stage is paid on enrolment, this obviously helps keep down our administrative costs, but we recognise that not all students can do this, hence the instalment facilities. Paying by instalments involves one payment per month for the duration of the stage. There is no additional fee for this service. See p45 for details.

Q: What is meant by the term “combined attendance and home study”?

A: This means that students are able, in their own free time, to supplement the instruction they receive as part of their weekend training with the essential reading from recommended text books and from the course notes provided. In this way it is possible to devote the time spent in attendance at the tuition venue in observing demonstrations, receiving practical instruction and guidance, and listening to lectures relating to the theories involved.

Q: Will I need to buy expensive text books for the course?

A: The number of books used varies with each stage of training (students will be advised by tutors), and on all courses comprehensive lesson notes are provided. However, whenever text books are necessary it is the students’ responsibility to obtain them. As books can be expensive it has always been our policy to confine our booklist to those which are readily available and, in many cases, obtainable through local and county libraries. Thus your outlay on books will be kept to a minimum commensurate with sound educational and professional training. We will also buy books from you (if on the reading list and possibly otherwise) if you no longer want them.

Q: What access shall I have to supervision during and after my training?

A: Regular course tutors and many other Full Practising Members of the National Society of Hypnosis, Psychotherapy and Mindfulness are prepared to share the benefits of their training and experience with newcomers to the profession. Consequently, access is available to a coherent, nationwide network of supervision and other support.

Q: Will I be entitled to apply for a NHS Provider Number once I have completed my training?

A: Yes, If you so wish. The old NHS Provider Numbers (now called Independent Provider Numbers [IPN]) are allocated via the National Administrative Codes Service (NACS) of the NHS Information Authority and anyone contracted to provide a service to the NHS can apply for one. The numbers are used for administrative purposes by the NHS when paying for services. An IPN will be useful if you have clients referred by local GPs and the therapy is to be paid for out of NHS funds. The addresses to which you can apply for both IPN (allocated once a NHS contract has been obtained) and BUPA Provider Numbers (for BUPA funding a client must be referred to you by a BUPA consultant) will be included in the course notes. Some organisations misleadingly present them as the NHS Seal of Approval. However, as the numbers are simply administrative devices, great care should be taken to ensure that they are not used to mislead potential clients by implying NHS or BUPA approval. 

Q: When I become a student of the National College, or when I complete my training, do I have to sign any contract or become involved in any franchise operation?

A: No. The work of the National College is to train students to a level of competence which enables them to offer professional services to the public or to study to the particular stage which is of interest to them. The National College does not involve itself in any form of franchising.

Q: What is my position regarding professional indemnity insurance when I establish a practice?

A: The training and study programme of the National College has been approved by a leading British insurance company. Thus practitioners, trained by or in training with the National College and joining the National Society of Hypnosis, Psychotherapy and Mindfulness, may obtain appropriate insurance, including cover for breach of professional duty, at favourable rates.

Q: Do I have to undergo psychotherapy myself prior to training?

A: The National College does not insist that any student undergoes therapy. However, provision is made for students to solve any personal problems they may be encountering and students are recommended to undertake therapy if required. A significant part of the training programme involves practical application of the techniques being taught, so all students experience the therapy which they themselves will be applying as practitioners. This principle of experiential training is considered to be important, and students are able to benefit from this while being under the care and supervision of their tutor. Applicants wishing to train to UKCP registration level should note the requirement relating to personal therapy in the fourth point on p31.

Q: Is there any help with fees?

A: Should prospective students have difficulty in raising the course fee as a one off payment, they may pay one weekend at a time. Some people hesitate attending courses on their own and are happier when training with a friend. With this in mind, we are offering the Stage One training at half price for the second person applying with a friend or colleague. Some students have found external sources of funding. If this is of interest, please contact the office.